Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Winchester Engineering & Analytical Center

For a while now, I have been describing Winchester as a bedroom community: a place where there are lot of houses, but people do not come to work.  While this is blatantly untrue since there are commercial establishments, I am slowly finding places outside of the retail and service industries where people come to work, further proving myself wrong.  One such place, discovered on my run this evening, is The Winchester Engineering and Analytical Center (WEAC) on Holton St.  This obviously intrigued me since I am an engineer. :)

Upon some further research I discovered that this building is in fact a small campus of one main building and nine smaller buildings and that WEAC is operated by the FDA which is in turn operated by the U.S. Department of Health and Human services.  This facility is apparently used "to test the safety and performance of medical devices (x-ray machines and medical test kits), microwaves, radiopharmaceuticals, conduct radionuclide testing with food samples, and ensure seafood freshness through the fish sensory program." (That was a mouthful.)  

No comments: