Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Jiffy Lube

(I am not sure how to turn that picture)

Since I have been living in Winchester, MA, I have been going to the Jiffy Lube on Main Street.  While, most people go every 3,000 miles or 3 months, I have been taking full advantage of the free top off policy since my steering fluid line in leaking.  I probably go to Jiffy Lube every 2 weeks or so.  
In the beginning, I LOVED this store.  It is very clean inside (spot less!) and it is in a very convenient location for me.  As I started to go more frequently, I have begun to but heads with one of the men on the staff.  I must say, that I do enjoy most of the other employees (well except for the one who didn't appear to know how to drive standard, but that was a skills problem, rather than personal).  Anyways, this older man who works at Jiffy Lube often tries to joke around with me.  I am good for one or two laughs, but sometimes the things he says are not funny.  My typical reaction to a lame attempt at a joke is to smile and laugh lightly or briefly out of politeness.  This is not good enough for this man.  If I am not laughing hard enough, he will try to make me laugh harder.  Really though, this only annoys me.  He will also say:

"You were right, you were really low on steering fluid" (Thinking: No shit!  That is why I drove in here and specifically asked you to fill up my steering fluid and not bother topping off any other fluids)
"Yes, I know.  That is why I came in."
"Ya know, you are probably leaking it."
"Yes, I know.  The line is rusted out."
"I had my guy look and see if he could see what's wrong, but he doesn't see anything.  You should really get that fixed." (Didn't you just hear me tell you what is wrong with it?!)
At this point I am annoyed because this conversation is tedious as it is, but we also had the same one 10 ten days ago.  This may be a sign of my insecurities in or defensiveness of my dying car, but part of it is also me taking offense to their assumptions of my knowledge on cars, or lack there of.  So I respond:

"Ya, I'm gonna get it fixed.  This is just to tide me over."  And then I thank him to end the conversation and rush out the door.  Thankfully, I have an appointment in a few days to get it fixed so hopefully I can reduce the frequency of my trips to Jiffy Lube and the tension between me and this man!

No comments: